Thursday, April 16, 2009

Just Feeling Sorry For Myself

Why??? See this???


Yup...that is a cast...lovingly fitted on my right foot. As I was walking across the front door early Saturday morning, I heard a pop. At the same time, I felt a bat hit the back of my leg and I keeled over. I managed to walk over to the bench and check out my leg. Right in front of my eyes, my ankle started to swell up like a balloon!

I think I already knew I had ruptured my achilles tendon but somehow I wanted my brother, Phil, to tell me it was ok to go to Kelowna for the week and enjoy ourselves. But not so...that's when it all started. After a series of phone calls, I ended up at the Rockyview Hospital. A few consultations later and a cancelled surgery, I came home with a cast on my right leg.

On Tuesday, I went back to the Cast Clinic at the Peter Lougheed Hospital...you know you have been there alot when you are on a first name basis with the nurses...and they remember your name too...and your children's name! After some x-rays and a consultation, we decide that it everything is too swollen and bloody to operate...and that maybe operating is not the best course of action here given all my risk factors. I was sooooooooooooo disappointed...I wanted to operate and just be on the road to recovery. But I understand...my outcome would be fair to poor at best as the tissues were too swollen...and I don't want to be operated on more than once. My risk of infection is triple that of the normal person so I can only imagine what it would be like if I had multiple operations! That beautiful purple cast which is Danielle's favorite colour is on for at least 3 wks after which I go for another consult. If it looks like the tendon is healing on its own well (ha ha!) then I'll get a different cast and continue with this serial casting method for 12-15 weeks...which should leave me with a castless leg sometime in late July!

If I need surgery, then we will get it done after the 3 wk consultation...sigh...I just want to get on with things. I want to stand normally. I want to bend my leg and I want to drive! And I know...things can always be worse!

Thanks for letting me vent! And Thanks for dropping by! I'll have something scrappy tomorrow!

-vw


No comments: